Field of Specialization: Biotechnology -Animal Science
- Molecular genetics of equine influenza virus
- Reverse genetics based new generation recombinant vaccine against equine influenza
- Bacterial artificial chromosome technology-based development of deletion mutants of equine herpesvirus 1 for functional genomics studies and live attenuated vaccine production.
Recent research papers in last five years:
- Taruna Anand, Bidhan Ch. Bera, Nitin Virmani, Rajesh Kumar Vaid, Medhavi Vashisth and Bhupendra Nath Tripathi. 2018. Isolation and characterization of a novel, T7‑like phage against Aeromonas veronii. Virus Genes, 54:160–164.
- M. Choudhary, B.K. Choudhary, S. Bhoyar, S.B. Kale, S.P. Chaudhari, B.C. Bera, A. Jain and S.B. Barbuddhe. 2018. Isolation and characterization of multidrug-resistant Leclercia species from animal clinical case
- Vaid, R. K., Shanmugasundaram, K., Anand, T., Bera, B. C., Tigga, M., Dedar, R., Riyesh T., Bardwaj S., Virmani N., Tripathi BN and Singh, R.K. (2018). Characterization of isolates of Bordetella bronchiseptica from horses. Journal of equine science, 29(1), 25–31. doi:10.1294/jes.29.25
- Bera BC, Virmani N, Kumar N, Anand T, Pavulraj S, Rash A, Elton D, Rash N, Bhatia S, Sood R, Singh RK, Tripathi BN. 2017. Genetic and codon usage bias analyses of polymerase genes of equine influenza virus and its relation to evolution. BMC Genomics,18(1): 652. doi: 10.1186/s12864-017-4063-1.
- Pavulraja S, Virmani N, Bera BC, Joshi A, Anand T, Virmani M, Singh R, Singh RK, Tripathi BN. 2017. Immunogenicity and protective efficacy of inactivated equine influenza (H3N8) virus vaccine in murine model. Veterinary Microbiology 210 (2017) 188–196.
- Anand T, Bera BC, Virmani N, Vaid RK, Vashisth M and Tripathi BN. 2017. Isolation and characterization of a novel, T7-like phage against Aeromonas veronii. Virus Genes. 2017 Nov 7. doi: 10.1007/s11262-017-1517-0.
- Choudhary M, Choudhary BK, Bhoyar S, Kale SB, Chaudhari SP, Bera BC, Jain A, Barbuddhe SB. 2017. Isolation and characterization of multidrug-resistant Leclercia species from animal clinical case. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2018 Jan;66(1):44-48. doi: 10.1111/lam.12811.
- Yadav Naveen, Bera, B.C., Selvaraj Pavulraj, Anand Taruna, Tripathi, B.N. and Virmani Nitin (2016). Revelation of influencing factors in overall codon usage bias of equine influenza viruses. PLoS ONE 11(4):e0154376. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0154376
- Anand T., Bera B.C., Vaid R.K., Barua S., Riyesh, T., Virmani N., Hussain M., Singh R.K., Tripathi B.N. (2016). Abundance of antibiotic resistance genes in environmental bacteriophages. Journal of General Virology doi:10.1099/jgv.0.000639
- Anand T., Vaid R.K., Bera B.C., Singh J., Barua S., Virmani N., Rajukumar K., Yadav N.K., Nagar D., Singh R.K., Tripathi B.N. (2016). (2016). Isolation of a lytic bacteriophage against virulent Aeromonas hydrophila from an organized equine farm. Journal of Basic Microbiology, 55, 1-6. DOI 10.1002/jobm.201500318.
- Riyesh T., Barua S., Kumar N., Jindal N., Bera B.C., Narang G., Mahajan N.K., Arora D., Anand T., Vaid R.K., Yadav M., Chandel S.S., Malik P., Tripathi B.N. and Singh R.K. 2016. Isolation and genetic characterization of swinepox virus from pigs in India. Comp. Immunol. Microbiol. & Intect. Dis., http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.cimid.2016.04.001.
- Pavulraj, S., Bera, B.C., Joshi, A., Anand, T., Virmani, M., Vaid, R.K., Shanmugasundaram, K., Gulati, B.R., Rajukumar, K., Singh, R. Misri, J., Singh, R.K., Tripathi, B.N. and Virmani, N. 2015. Pathology of Equine Influenza virus (H3N8) in Murine Model. PLOS ONE | DOI:10.1371.
- Bera, B.C., Barua, S., Shanmugasundaram, K., Anand, T., Riyesh, T., Vaid, R.K., Virmani, N., Kundu, S., Yadav, N.K., Malik, P. and Singh, R.K. 2015. Genetic characterization and phylogenetic analysis of host-range genes of Camelpox virus isolates from India. VirusDisease, 26: 151-162.
- Anand, T., Vaid, R.K., Bera, B. C., Sanjay Barua, Riyesh, T., Virmani, N., Yadav N., and Malik, P. 2015. Isolation and characterization of a bacteriophage with broad host range, displaying potential in preventing bovine diarrhoea. Virus Genes, DOI 10.1007/s11262-015-1222-9.
- Vaid RK, Jindal N, Anand T, Bera BC, Riyesh T, Virmani N, Barua S, Gupta R, Mahajan NK, Joshi CG, Singh RK. (2015). First draft genome sequence of Salmonella enterica serovar Gallinarum strain VTCCBAA614, isolated from chicken in India. Genome Announc 3(5):e01221-15. doi:10.1128/genomeA.01221-15.
- Kumar, J., Chaudhury, A., Bera, B.C., Kumar, R., Kumar, R. Tatu, U. and Yadav, S.C. 2015. Production and preliminary evaluation of Trypanosoma evansi HSP70 for antibody detection in Equids. Acta Parasitologica, 2015, 60(4), 727–734.
- Vaid, R. K., Shanmugasundaram, K., Boora, A., Bera, B. C., Shukla, B. N., Anand, T., Singha, H., Riyesh, T., Virmani, N., Barua, S., Ahir, V. B., Koringa, P.G. Sajnani, M. R., Bhat, V. D., Rana, N., Singh, K. P., Malik, P., Singh, R. K. and Joshi, C.G. 2014. Draft Genome Sequence of Pasteurella multocida subsp. multocida B:2 Strain VTCCBAA264 Isolated from Bubalus bubalis in North India. Genome Announc. 2(4): e00755-14. doi:10.1128/genomeA. 00755-14.
- Anand, T., Bera, B. C., Vaid, R.K., Shanmugasundaram, K., Sharma, G., Virmani, N., Shukla, B. N., Barua, S. and Singh, R.K. 2014. Molecular characterization of virulence-associated protein (Vap) family genes of pathogenic Rhodococcus equi isolates from clinical cases of Indian equines. Ind. J. Biotech., 13: 195-202.
- Riyesh, T., Shanmugasundaram, K., Bera, B.C., Barua, S., Virmani, N., Yadav, S., Vaid, R.K., Anand, T., Bansal, M., Malik, P., Pahuja, I. and Singh, R.K. 2014. Laboratory-acquired Buffalopox Virus Infection, India. Emerg. Infect. Dis., 20: 325-327.
- Bera, B. C., Virmani, N., Shanmugasundaram, K., Vaid, R. K., Singh, B. K., Gulati, B. R., Anand, T., Barua, S., Malik, P., and Singh, R. K. 2013. Genetic Analysis of the Neuraminidase (NA) Gene of Equine Influenza Virus (H3N8) from Epizootic of 2008–2009 in India. Ind. J. Virol. 24: 256-264.
- Yadav, S. C., Kumar, R., Kumar, V., Jaideep, Kumar, R., Gupta, A. K., Bera, B. C., Tatu, U. 2013. Identification of immuno-dominant antigens of Trypanosoma evansi for detection of chronic trypanosomosis using experimentally infected equines. Res. Ve.t Sci. 95: 522-528.
- Goyal, T., Varshney, A., Bakshi, S. K., Barua, S., Bera, B. C., and Singh, R. K. 2013. Buffalo pox outbreak with atypical features: a word of caution and need for early intervention!. Int. J. dermatol., 52: 1224-1230.
- Anand, T., Bera, B. C., Riyesh, T., Vaid, R.K., Barua, S., Virmani, N., Malik, P., Kumar, D., Yadav, P. S. and Singh, R.K. 2013. Cytopathogenicity of buffalopox and camelpox virus in buffalo fibroblast cells. Ind. J. Anim. Sci., 83: 1256-1260.
- Bera, B. C., Shanmugasundaram, K., Barua, S., Anand, T., Riyesh, T., Vaid, R.K., Virmani, N., Bansal, M., Shukla, B. N., Malik, P. and Singh, R.K. Sequence and phylogenetic analysis of host-range (E3L, K3L & C7L) and structural protein (B5R) genes of buffalopox virus isolates from buffalo, cattle and human in India. 2012. Virus Genes. 45: 488-498.
- Barua, S., Bera, B. C., Shanmugasundaram, K., Anand, T., Riyesh, T., Vaid, R.K., Virmani, N., Bansal, M., Shukla, B. N. and Singh, R.K. Molecular appraisal of host-range K1L gene of zoonotic buffalopox virus isolates from outbreaks (2010) in buffaloes and human in Maharashtra. 2011. Indian J. Immunology and Immunopathology. 13 (2):102-07
- Barua, S., Bera, B. C., Shanmugasundaram, K., Anand, T., Riyesh, T., Vaid, R.K., Virmani, N., Bansal, M., Shukla, B. N. and Singh, R.K. Sequence and phylogenetic analysis of Ankyrin gene of Camelpox virus from outbreak in Rajasthan.2011. Indian J. Immunology and Immunopathology, 13(2): 108-12.
- Virmani, N., Bera, B. C., Shanumugasundaram, K., Singh, B.K., Gulati, B.R. and Singh, R.K. 2011. Genetic analysis of the matrix and non-structural genes of equine influenza virus (H3N8) from epizootic of 2008-09 in India. Vet. Microbiol. 152 (1-2): 169-75.
- Bera, B.C., Shanmugasundaram, K., Barua, S., Venkatesan, G., Virmani, N., Riyesh, T., Gulati, B.R., Bhanuprakash, V., Vaid, R.K., Kakker, N.K., Malik, P., bansal, M., Gadvi, S., Singh, R.V., Yadav, V., Sardarilal, Nagarajan, G., Balamurugan, V., Hosamani, M., Pathak, K.M. and Singh, R.K. 2011. Zoonotic cases of Camelpox infection in India. Vet. Microbiol.152 (1-2): 29-38.
- Virmani, N., Bera, B.C., Gulati, B.R., Shanmugasundaram, K, Singh, B.K., Vaid, R.K., Kumar, S., Kumar, R., Malik, P., Khurana, S.K., Singh, J., Manuja, A., Dedar, R., Gupta, A.K., Yadav, S.C., Chugh, P.K., Narwal, P.S., Thankur, V.L.N., Kaul, R., Kanani, A., Rautmare, S.S. and Singh, R.K. 2010. Descriptive epidemiology of equine influenza in India (2008-2009): temporal and spatial trends. Vet. Italiana. 46 (4):449-458.
- Virmani, N., Bera, B.C., Singh B.K., Shanmugasundaram, K., Gulati, B.R., Barua, S., Vaid, R.K., Gupta, A.K. and Singh, R.K. 2010. Equine influenza outbreak in India (2008–09): Virus isolation, sero-epidemiology and phylogenetic analysis of HA gene. Vet. Microbiol, 143: 224-237.
Technologies developed/ patented
- Merit scholarship, Human Resource Development, Govt. of West Bengal, 1994-1999 (B.V.Sc. & A.H).
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research-National Eligibility Test, October. 2001.
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research-Senior Research Fellowship, May , 2003.
- Certificate of Training Programme on Intellectual Property Rights-March, 2004, IPTI, Nagpur, Govt of India, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion.
- Awarded Certificate of distance learning course on “General Course on Intellectual Property”, 1st Oct. to 15th Nov., 2004, by World intellectual Property Organization, Geneva.
- Awarded Scholarship from World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Worldwide Academy, Geneva, Course: Advance Course on Biotechnology and Intellectual Property (distance-learning course), 1st June to 14th August, 2006.
- Awarded Certificate of distance learning course on “Advance course on Biotechnology and Intellectual Property”, 1st June to 14th August, 2006, World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Young Scientist Award presented during XXth National Conference of Indian Virological Society, VIROCON-2011 held at National Research Centre on Equines during December 29-31, 2011.
- International fellowship for training in the area of “Biomolecules” funded by ICAR-NAIP, New Delhi and under gone said training at Institut fur Virologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany from October 07, 2013 to December, 30, 2013
- Young scientist award (2015) for the paper entitled “Pathology of equine influenza vaccine (H3N8) and vaccine efficacy studies in novel small animal model” by Indian association of Veterinary Pathologists. (Jointly)
- Student and team of the scientists working in the area of development of novel recombinant equine influenza virus vaccine with novel adjuvants were awarded with Young Scientist award by Indian association of Veterinary Pathologists in 2017.
- Best oral presentation prize for the research work on “Codon usage preference and evolution of haemagglutinin genes of equine influenza (H3N8) virus” in the International conference on Bio and Nano Technologies for Sustainable Agriculture, Food, Health, Energy and Industry by Society for sustainale Agriculture & Resource Management in 2018.
Membership:Indian Society for Veterinary Immunology and Biotechnology (ISVIB)
Students guided (Master’s & PhD):Masters- 4; Ph.D.- 2
Ongoing Research Projects::
- Development of recombinant EHV1 viruses employing bacterial artificial chromosome mediated mutagenesis and their pathological evaluation in murine model
- Extra mural grant of ICAR awarded for the project: Pathogenecity and immunogenicity of recombinant neurogenic and non neurogenic mutant equine herpesvirus 1 (in tissue explants and murine model) and their potential as vaccine candidate(s)
- Generation of reverse genetics based equine influenza virus and explore its potential as vaccine candidate through challenge studies in mice model
- Prevalence studies for porcine respiratory viruses and development of their repository