Field of Specialization : Veterinary Public Health Microbiology
Research Interests My research interest include isolation and identification of veterinary microbial biodiversity, the taxonomic study including polyphasic characterization of novel veterinary bacterial species and studies on antimicrobial resistance of animal pathogens. My research interests include genomic characterization of veterinary pathogens in the microbial repository of NCVTCC, NRCE, Hisar.
Recent research papers in the last five years:
1. Vaid R.K. Anand T., Shanmugasundaram K., Tripathi B.N. (2018) Veterinary Type Cultures and Their Preservation: Status and Challenges. In: Sharma S., Varma A. (eds) Microbial Resource Conservation. Soil Biology, vol 54. Springer, Cham, Suisse.
2. Soltanighias T. Vaid R.K., Rahi P. (2018) Agricultural Microbial Genetic Resources: Application and Preservation at Microbial Resource Centers. In: Sharma S., Varma A. (eds) Microbial Resource Conservation. Soil Biology, vol 54. Springer, Cham, Susisee.
3. Vaid RK, Shanmugasundaram K, Anand T, Bera BC, Tigga M, Dedar R, Riyesh T, Bardwaj S, Virmani N, Tripathi BN and Singh R. (2018). Characterization of isolates of Bordetella bronchiseptica from horses. J Equine Sci. 29: 25-31.
4. Anand T, Bera BC, Virmani N, Vaid RK, Vashisth M and Tripathi BN. 2017. Isolation and characterization of a novel, T7-like phage against Aeromonas veronii. Virus Genes doi: 10.1007/s11262-017-1517-0.
5. Dedar RK, Virmani N, Bala PA, Singh J, Vaid RK, Legha RA and Tripathi BN. 2017. Clinicopathlogical findings of an episode of mycotoxicosis in equines. Equine Veterinary Education: doi: 10.1111/eve.12856.
6. Dedar RK, Vaid RK, Anand T, Singh J, Virmani N, Khurana SK and Kumar S. 2017. Rhodococcus equi Diarrhoea and Suppurative Pneumonia in Marwari Filly: A Case Report. Veterinary Practitioner 18: 245-248.
7. Vaid RK, Jindal N, Anand T, Bera BC, Riyesh T, Virmani N, Barua S, Gupta R, Mahajan NK, Joshi CG, Singh RK. (2015). First draft genome sequence of Salmonella enterica serovar Gallinarum strain VTCCBAA614, isolated from chicken in India. Genome Announc 3(5):e01221-15. doi:10.1128/genomeA.01221-15.
8. Vaid, R K Taruna Anand & S D Thakur (2015). Q fever In Pet Animal Zoonosis. in Ed. S. R. Garg, Publishers: Satish Serial Publishing House, N Delhi.
9. Taruna Anand, R. K. Vaid, Bidhan Ch. Bera, Sanjay Barua, T. Riyesh, N. Virmani, Neeraj Yadav, Praveen Malik (2015). Isolation and characterization of a bacteriophage with broad host range, displaying potential in preventing bovine diarrhoea. Virus Genes, DOI 10.1007/s11262-015-1222-9.
10. Taruna Anand, R K Vaid, Bidhan Ch. Bera, Jitender Singh, Sanjay Barua, Nitin Virmani, Rajukumar K., Neeraj Kumar Yadav, Dinesh Nagar, Raj K. Singh, and B.N. Tripathi (2015). Isolation of a lytic bacteriophage against virulent Aeromonas hydrophila from an organized equine farm. Journal of Basic Microbiology, DOI 10.1002/jobm.201500318
11. Vaid RK, Shanmugasundaram K, Boora A, Bera BC, Shukla BN, Anand T, Singha H, Riyesh T, Virmani N, Barua S, Ahir VB, Koringa PG, Sajnani MR, Bhat VD, Rana N, Singh, KP, Malik P, Singh RK, Joshi CG. (2014). Draft genome sequence of Pasteurella multocida subsp. multocida B:2 strain VTCCBAA264 isolated from Bubalus bubalis in North India. Genome Announc. 2(4):e00755-14. doi:10.1128/genomeA.00755-14.
12. Anand T, B C Bera, R K Vaid, K Shanmugasundaram, Gautam Sharma, N Virmani, B N Shukla, M Bansal, Riyesh T, S Barua, P Malik & R K Singh. (2014). Molecular characterization of virulence-associated protein (Vap) family genes of pathogenic Rhodococcus equi isolates from clinical cases of Indian equines. Indian J. of Biotechnology, 13: 195-202.
13. Kumar K, Maherchandani S, Kashyap S K, Bohara D L & Vaid R K. (2014). Prevalence of Rhodococcus equi in equine environments in arid zone. Indian Journal of Comparative Microbiology, Immunology and Infectious Diseases. 35:34-38.
14. Thachamvally Riyesh, Shanmugasundaram K., Bera B C, Barua S, Virmani N, Yadav S, Vaid R K, Anand T, Bansal M, Malik P, Pahuja I, Singh R K. (2014). Laboratory acquired Buffalopox Virus Infection, India. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 20(2):25-26.
15. T Anand, B C Bera, Riyesh T, R K Vaid, S Barua, Nitin Virmani, Praveen Malik, D Kumar, P S Yadav and R K Singh. (2013). Cytopathogenicity of buffalopox and camelpox virus in buffalo fibroblast cells, Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 83 (12): 1256–1260, December 2013.
Technologies developed/ patented:
- Awarded Best Paper Award in Oral Presentation in International Conference at Asian Buffalo Congress (ABC-2018), Health Session, on paper ‘’First draft genome sequence of Trueperella pyogenes strain Bu5 isolated from water buffalo’’, and symposium on ‘Climate Resilient Buffalo Production for sustainable livelihood at CIRB, Hisar from Feb 1-4, 2018.
- NAIP, ICAR Grant for 3 month International training at Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, George Mason University, Manassas, North Virginia, United States of America in Bioinformatics (Animal Science) by National Agricultural Innovation Project, ICAR, N. Delhi from January 17th to April 16th 2011.
- Best Poster Award on “Phenotypic characterization of virulent choE gene positive Rhodococcus equi isolates. (2009). R. K. Vaid, et al. “Recent approaches in Veterinary Immunology and Biotechnology for Animal Health and Production during February, 26-28, 2009 at College of Veterinary Sciences, CCS HAU Hisar.
- OIE Grant to visit Animal Health Trust, New Market, UK from 16 – 23 July 2015 for One Month Under OIE Twinning Programme on Equine Influenza.
- Conferred Fellow of Society for Immunology and Immunopathology, SIIP, IVRI, Izatnagar
1. Life Member-Bergey’s International Society for Microbial Systematics,USA
2. Life Member- Association of Microbiologists of India
3. International Biosecurity and Prevention Forum (IBPF)
4. Life Member- Indian Association of Veterinary Public Health Specialists.
5. Life Member-Society for Immunology and Immunopathology, Bareilly
6. Life Member- Indian Society for Sheep and Goat Production and Utilization (ISSGPU), CSWRI, Avikanagar.
7. Life member- Indian Association of Animal Production, N. Delhi
8. Life member-Indian Association of Veterinary Microbiologists, Immunologists and Specialists in Infectious Diseases, Bareilly.
Students guided (Master’s & PhD)
PI: Phenotypic and genotypic authentication and preservation of network bacterial isolates.
Coordinator: “Bioinformatics Instructional facility- Biological teaching thrugh bioinformatics’, Project Sponsored by DBT, New Delhi, 2013-ongoing”, NCVTC, NRCE, Hisar.
Co-PI: Feasibility Studies on Biogas and Compost production from Mule dung in hilly regions in India” DST Project at VTCC, NRCE, Hisar 2015-Ongoing, DST PSA at NCVTC, NRCE Hisar and NEERI, Nagpur.
Co-PI: “DBT-NER Centre for advanced animal diagnostics and services on animal health and diseases”. Project Funded by DBT, New Delhi, 2015-ongoing. NCVTC, NRCE, Hisar.
Co-PI: Surveillance, Monitoring and Control of Emerging and Existing Diseases of Equines. NRCE, Hisar.
Co-PI: Approaches to the diagnosis and management of reproductive failure in equines.EPC, NRCE, Hisar.
Co-PI: Development of bacteriophage repository and exploring the therapeutic potential of phages and their encoded endolysin. NCVTC, NRCE, Hisar.
Co-PI: Isolation, characterization and generation of repository of Mycobacterium species. NCVTC, NRCE, Hisar.